Welcome to Meridiam’s 2021 Impact Report!
“2020 was a year like no other. COVID-19 inflicted a huge human toll on families, communities and countries. It also caused a level of economic damage not seen since the World War II. As individuals and a business, we had to adapt to protect our people and deliver our services.” says Thierry Déau, Founding partner, Chief Executive Officer of Meridiam.
Last year we’ve invested 7 billion dollars in our 3 core sectors; we’ve created 170, 000 direct and indirect jobs since our creation.
Simpl, Our Impact Measurement & Monitoring Tool
Amongst 2020’s novelties and projects, we have developed our own sustainability and impact measurement and monitoring tool, Simpl. This platform tracks and monitors the impact of a project using our framework of assessment against Environment, Social and Governance targets as well as the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Our Sustainability strategy is based on 5 target pillars:
• Deliver resilient infrastructure and develop sustainable cities
• Accelerate energy transition
• Avoid and reduce emissions
• Promote good work conditions, inclusion, diversity and gender equality
• Protect and enhance biodiversity
This long-lasting impact strategy provides clear and tangible results within each of our core sectors of Social Infrastructure, Energy Transition and Environment, and Mobility.
In the Mobility sector we have invested in several projects across the world, from tunnels to airports, with the goal to always to maximize positive impact, boost the local economy by facilitating urban mobility and connectivity, creating long-lasting jobs while also minimizing carbon emissions.
In Madagascar, two airports, Ivato International and Fascène can now serve 2 million passengers a year.
32 million people are travelling through our airports each year.
In the Social Infrastructure sector, we have invested and developed impactful projects such as Student campuses, hospitals and court houses across Europe and the Americas.
In Chile, the Felix Bulnes Hospital is to serve over one million inhabitants in Santiago.
20 million people provided with Health Care facilities.
In the Energy Transition and Environment sector we sourced new investments, raised long-term financing and broke ground on new projects around the world that will add to our portfolio and deliver impact for decades to come.
Our Gipuzkoa Environmental Complex came fully on stream in December, generating enough energy to power more than 45,000 homes.
We treat 1 million tonnes of waste per year.
2020 was marked by the arising of a global pandemic that fragilized the world’s economy but even more so already vulnerable communities. At Meridiam, we made the choice to play our part in the fight against covid 19.
- 2500 beds were mobilized for the worst affected cases across France, Chile, Turkey and the UK
- Meridiam and its companies that operate the infrastructure have donated over €500,000 to national and local schemes to date.
- Meridiam made a $200,000 contribution to the Jordanian National Aid Fund and ensured that all staff received 100% of wages throughout work disruption – exceeding the national legal requirement.
- Meridiam’s donations to ST. Munchin’s Community Centre in Limerick have helped serve over 400 meals a day to the most vulnerable of the community.