A2 Phase I, Poland
Meridiam is the main shareholder of Autostrada Wielkopolska S.A (AWSA), the concession company responsible for operating the A2, Phase 1 motorway in Poland. This 149-km stretch of motorway, between the cities of Nowy Tomysl and Konin, was built and opened between 2000 and 2005, initiated as part of a major long-term upgrade of the Polish motorway network.
The A2 motorway is a key transport corridor:
• Connecting the country’s capital Warsaw with Berlin
• Providing access to the city of Poznań (4th largest metropolitan area in Poland
in terms of population), located in the middle of the A2 Phase I
• The A2 is designated as the E30 in the TEN (Trans-European Road Network)
ESG/SDG Key Facts
Following the completion of the Poz ań Bypass, a study was undertaken in December 2021 to understand any potential noise impacts. As a result, noise barrier related works were completed in Q4 2022.
The two phases under Meridiam ownership (Phases I and II) include 45 crossings for large and medium sized animals and 122 culverts for small animals providing a specific protection for herpetofauna (reptiles and amphibians).
By the end of 2022, approximately 70% of gas stations along the A2 were equipped with EV chargers. Further deployment is still ongoing to reach 100% of stations by the end of 2025.
The Project Company has an ongoing road safety campaign, through slogans and messages at the toll booths, and barriers drawing d iv ’ attention to the safety rules. AWSA is taking additional measures to further enhance safety on the road:
• Implementation of an average speed camera system on the Poznan Bypass scheduled for Q4 2023.
• Discussions with the Grantor are ongoing to add signs to keep a safe distance between vehicles.
The project collaborates with several polish universities and supports various charitable activities including orphanages.
A number of voluntary certifications were completed, including ISO 50001, ISO 14001, LEED, and BREEAM.